Monday, May 21, 2012

 

SX230 NECK STRAP

I love my Canon SX230 HS camera. It is a pocket type camera, and while I love the size and having it always available, I do prefer to have a camera hanging from a neck strap- but as pocket cameras tend to have only one attachment point, intended for a wrist strap usually, I had to work a bit to get it on a neck strap and properly oriented.

First thing was to find a suitable fitting, which I found at the arts and crafts section at Walmart, filed to fit the slight curve of the side of the camera housing, and to make the loop stick out a bit. I used the PC-11 epoxy as recommended by Rolly over at the Homosassa Tru Value, and let it set for 24 hours before touching it.



Then it was a bit of a job finding a proper strap that I could attach to the two very different fittings. I kept thinking in terms of a traditional strap, but finding nothing that would make that work- though I am sure the bits exist, I could find nothing locally, I grabbed a 3-pack of single point neck straps from Walmart for $4.00 and a bit of sewing to put the ends from two onto one, and voila!


A bit later...

Sometime ago, I purchased an after-market 2X lens for my Canon A-1000 pocket camera- which had the great feature of being particularly good for low light video. Unfortunately, it is low rez, so is now rendered fairly useless, though there are some videos I got with it, that are no longer available, such as the Lights of Winter at Epcot.

It occurred to me to see if maybe this lens would work with my SX230. It had come with an extra mounting ring, a very thin circle of magnetized metal that stuck with glue to the camera lens mount, and held the lens on with a matching magnet in its base. So today, I very carefully aligned and attached the mounting ring to the front of the SX230- it is the bright silver ring you can see here.



Here is the camera with the lens mounted.


I then took a shot without the lens and the same shot with it...




As you can see, unfortunately, it is not "tuned" for this camera and offers little magnification and only clear focus in the center. While it might be interesting for some special effects, it will be of no use in general.

:)

Jud

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?