Wednesday, April 15, 2009

 
RABBIT REDUX





Taking a break this early evening from my music editing work, I was out in the yard when I spotted my bunny. I stood and watched and he seemed okay with my presence at distance, and then he moved down the yard a bit a to a point where I could hide behind the power pole and get a bit closer, so hoping to get a closer shot, I quietly turned to go inside and get my camera: as I turned, I was shocked to see another identical bunny about five feet behind me! He was a bit shocked to see the "power pole" move too, and we stood there looking at each other for a minute or so, then he made a mad dash to the car, and I gently walked to the porch and into the house.
.
When I came back out with my camera, I headed for the power pole and saw that that bunny had disappeared. The second bunny was back by his "home" and sitting there calmly, so I watched him for a bit, grabbed some shots from a slightly better angle light wise and then, having gotten closer and feeling that he was not so timid with me as before, I decided to go in and get a piece of celery and offer it to him. I came out with it and he was still in his "yard", and I went to the left to approach him from where I had been before, and approached as much as I dared, and then put the piece of celery down about 7 feet from him, and backed off another ten feet and sat.
.
He seemed curious at my sitting and nestled himself into a sitting position to watch me. Neither of us moved and I eventually decided to go move the celery closer. I went on all fours, thinking it would be less threatening then walking and picked it up, waved it gently in my hand to show him, and holding i forward, crawled a bit closer, watching him closely and again approaching as close as I dared, probably five feet or less.
.
I switched the celery to my left hand and with my right, gently removed the lens cover from my camera that was hanging from my neck and brought it up to my eye- this did cause him to sit up and get ready to bolt, but seeing I made no further approach, he stayed, but now alert. I got the best picture yet! I then gently tossed the celery to one side of him, clearly non-threatening, but that was enough and he bolted into the bush.
.

I went back in, and after a few minutes opened my door a crack and saw that he was back out, but not going after the celery. I stepped out on the porch and talked to him- told him to try the celery, but he listened but ignored me. I said fine and went in to watch Jeopardy.
.
During the next break, I opened the door again and I saw him approaching the celery! I watched and he finally got there, and seemed to sniff it, think about it, and then left it.
.
:)
Jud

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?